OK so here it finally is… the first course of my Ready Steak Cook challenge entry. After deliberating over my list of ingredients I decided to make these cute little bacon and brie tartlets. More on the canapé side of things then a starter, still a perfect option to serve as a pre-meal snack with drinks while you wait for all your dinner guests to arrive.
Having all the necessary ingredients in the challenge pantry, I decided to go with a shortcrust pastry for the tartlet shells. For a little help I followed this thorough how to on Delia Online.
- 110g cake flour
- 50g butter – at room temperature cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp water
- 125g bacon – chopped into small pieces
- 125g brie – chopped into small pieces
- Place flour and butter in a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips.
- Once the flour and butter is combined and has the consistency of breadcrumbs add the water a little at a time. While you are adding the water bring the dough together with your hands until you have a solid mass.
- Cover the dough and let it chill out in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Turn your oven on to preheat at 180°C.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out to a thickness of 3mm.
- Cut 15 rounds out of the rolled dough, you can use a cookie cutter or glass for this task.
- Line a 15 hole silicone mini muffin try with the 15 rounds, pressing the dough down into each hole to form a little shell.
- Place the muffin tray in the fridge for the dough to chill out some more.
- While the unbaked shells are chilling, chop the bacon and brie into small pieces.
- Remove the lined muffin tray from the fridge and place a teaspoon each of the chopped bacon and brie into each shell.
- Place the muffin tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
These tartlets are delicious served warm or cold. Besides being a lovely start to a multi course meal I think they would also be a welcome addition to a packed lunch or picnic spread.
6 responses to “Ready Steady Cook Challenge – Starter – Bacon and Brie Tartlets”
Pingback: Tweets that mention Ready Steady Cook Challenge – Starter – Bacon and Brie Tartlets « Wots For Lunch? -- Topsy.com