You may have noticed the last few lunches I’ve posted have all had couscous in them, it’s quite the staple in my kitchen and often comes to the rescue when I’m too lazy to cook rice or other starch to round out a meal. Today’s lunch also contains couscous, surprise surprise, in one of my favourite lunch box additions. This salad (containing couscous, butternut, feta cheese, dukkah and rocket) is really easy to throw together and always pleases.
- Butternut and feta couscous salad,
- hummus topped with some harrief from Oded’s Kitchen,
- cucumber sticks and
- some baby tomatoes.
- Chicken and mushrooms in a creamy sauce,
- pattypan squash,
- broccoli and
I made this braised red cabbage as part of Mothers’ Day lunch and it was a big success. It is equally delicious hot or cold, so it makes a great addition to a packed lunch or picnic.
- Sliced chorizo from Rudi’s Sausage Deli,
- sliced tomato,
- green beans,
- braised red cabbage and
Braised red cabbage – recipe from Best Food Fast Christmas Made Easy
- 450g red cabbage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 25g butter
- Put the cabbage, onion and apple in a flame-proof casserole.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar, the sugar, nutmeg and redcurrant jelly. Cut the butter into pieces and dot all over the top of the cabbage.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 1 hour, stirring now and again. The cabbage should be tender and most of the liquid evaporated.
I substituted a granny smith apple and balsamic style vinegar for the Bramley apple and red wine vinegar. I also omitted the red currant jelly and used about half the amount of butter listed.
Makes enough to serve 8 people as a side dish.
This is a lunch that I packed for myself awhile back using leftovers from a Meatless Monday dinner. I made this vegetarian stew by cooking up a bunch roughly chopped tomatoes with chunks of carrot, green pepper and spring onion with some smoked paprika and cumin. When everything was cooked I added some big chucks of smoked tofu and let it warm though.
- Tofu and vegetable stew with