I made this braised red cabbage as part of Mothers’ Day lunch and it was a big success. It is equally delicious hot or cold, so it makes a great addition to a packed lunch or picnic.
- Sliced chorizo from Rudi’s Sausage Deli,
- sliced tomato,
- green beans,
- braised red cabbage and
Braised red cabbage – recipe from Best Food Fast Christmas Made Easy
- 450g red cabbage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 25g butter
- Put the cabbage, onion and apple in a flame-proof casserole.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar, the sugar, nutmeg and redcurrant jelly. Cut the butter into pieces and dot all over the top of the cabbage.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 1 hour, stirring now and again. The cabbage should be tender and most of the liquid evaporated.
I substituted a granny smith apple and balsamic style vinegar for the Bramley apple and red wine vinegar. I also omitted the red currant jelly and used about half the amount of butter listed.
Makes enough to serve 8 people as a side dish.