This chili con carne is one of my go to meals and there is always some hanging out in the freezer patiently waiting for it’s time to shine. It has made many appearences in my lunch box over the last few years so I thought it was about time I shared my recipe with you.
- Chili con carne,
- basmati rice and
- a mixed salad with lettuce, cucumber, yellow peppers and baby tomatoes.
Here is the recipe
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 500g ostrich mince
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried crushed chillies
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml beef stock
- 10g dark chocolate (this is a rough estimate I usually use two blocks of a Lindt 35g chocolate bar)
- 400g can red kidney beans
- Heat oil, add onion and garlic and cook till browned.
- Add mince to the pot and stir to brown breaking up any clumps that form.
- Stir through the paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander and crushed chillies.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stock and let simmer for about half an hour or until liquids are reduced
- Add chocolate and red kidney beans and cook for a further five minutes or so to heat beans and allow chocolate to meld into the chili.
- Serve on rice or tortillas accompanied with tomato salad, sliced avocado and sour cream or plain yoghurt.
Makes 4-6 servings