This lentil soup makes for a great midday meal. A sweet spicy twist comes from the addition of carrots roasted with lemon, cumin and a touch of cayenne pepper. It’s not going to win any beauty prizes but sure does deliver on the flavour front.
- Lemony roast carrot and lentil soup and
- a few strawberries.
I often see okra in my local Checkers but, not knowing how to cook it and having read tales of how slimy it can be, have usually avoided buying it. After a little internet research I discovered cooking okra with tomatoes reduces the slime factor. With this knowledge I took the plunge, bought some okra and devised this lentil and okra curry.
- Lentil and Okra curry,
- brown rice with sun dried tomatoes,
- coriander yoghurt,
- dried mango and
- some grapes.
Here is my recipe for Lentil and Okra Curry.
- 1 cup of black lentils
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 300g okra topped and tailed then cut into 1cm rounds
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- Cover lentils with water and leave to soak (overnight is best, but I only soaked them for four hours and this was sufficient).
- Fry onions and garlic in olive oil till the onions are translucent.
- Add curry powder and stir to coat.
- Add lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water and leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Add okra and green pepper then cook for a further 5 minutes.
Service over rice with coriander yoghurt.
Makes 4-6 servings.