I’ve really enjoyed taking part in the Zespri Daily Scoop of Amazing challenge. I’ve learned you can do more with these fuzzy brown fruits then just peeling them, cutting them into chunks and eating them. I’ve been trying to use them in interesting ways, so far I’ve made a kiwi smoothie, face mask, salsa, kiwi squares and pancakes. As the challenge has progressed I feel like I’ve gotten my blogging mojo back, something I’m very happy to have returned.
My lunchbox today is filled with “leftovers” from a braai we had last night. (Is it still considered leftovers if you purposefully prepared an extra portion of food to stick in your lunchbox?) My boyfriend was so happy to braai that he couldn’t wait to share our interesting supper with his friends over on G+.
The ostrich cubes on these kebabs were marinated in a mixture of kiwifruit, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli and olive oil. The kiwifruit in the marinade has a tenderising effect on the meat so it’s best not to let it sit for too long, an hour is perfect. I then skewered them with alternating chunks of kiwifruit and onion. The grilled fruit has a really intensified flavour and the onion turns all sweet and sticky, a yummy option for your next braai or just grilled in the oven.
- Chickpea, red onion and cucumber salad with zataar and dried apricots,
- longstem broccolli and
- braaied ostrich and kiwifruit kebabs.
Here is my recipe for the kiwifruit and ostrich kebabs.
- 1 kiwifruit mashed with a fork
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 chopped bird’s eye chili
- 6 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- 500g cubed ostrich steak
- 1 onion cut into 8 pieces
- 2 kiwifruit cut into 6 pieces each
- Combine kiwifruit, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger and chili.
- Add the cubed ostrich steak and mix so that all the meat is covered in the marinade.
- Set aside to marinate for about an hour.
- Skewer the cubed ostrich steak interspersing with alternating pieces of kiwifruit and onion.
- Grill kebabs for 5 minutes on each side.