Have you noticed the seasonal change in the weather recently? In Cape Town the evenings have a slight chill to them signalling the onset of Autumn and I think that is the perfect excuse to create giant pots of warm and comforting soup. Like this Thai flavoured butternut soup I made last night.
- Thai butternut soup and
- two slices of muesli loaf from Knead.
Here is my recipe for Thai flavoured butternut soup.
- 1Tbsp coconut oil (I used the Kapruka brand that we received in our goodies bags at the SA Food Bloggers Conference)
- 2 medium sized onions (roughly chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1.5kg butternut (peeled, seeds removed and cut into large chunks)
- 1.5ℓ vegetable stock
- 1 stalk of lemongrass (split in half lengthways)
- 3 dried limes leaves
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1tsp fish sauce
- a large handful of fresh coriander (chopped)
- the juice of half a lime
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the coconut oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the butternut and stir-fry for a minute or two to coat with the coconut oil and brown slightly.
- Add the vegetable stock, lemongrass and lime leaves and cook for half an hour (or until the butternut is tender)
- Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves and then blend to a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, coriander and lime juice, bring to the boil and serve.
Makes approximately 9-10 servings